Saturday, August 29, 2009

Unemployment and a Promotion

This week, I am celebrating Kayle's hard work in getting a promotion. He finally had his annual review this week. (I get much more nervous than Kayle when his mid-year and annual reviews are coming and bug him about when it will be and by asking if he's nervous; he's not). On Thursday, we went out to a late dinner after work at CoHo Cafe (our favorite restaurant here) and he told me the good news. Apparently, the actual meeting with his boss was quite short (only about 10 minutes) compared to the mid-year review which was an hour. But Kayle got a nice, long letter about his progress so far and it sounds like he is right on track. This promotion does not mean Kayle changes job titles, just that more will be expected of him in his current position. At Microsoft, there are two career tracks: "individual contributor" and management. Kayle is on the first track, so the promotion means he moved up a "level" in his experience/expertise rating. Kayle has been working hard at his job, and I am so proud of him!

Meanwhile, I was unemployed this whole week, having finished my job as a Science Adventures camp instructor last Friday. I spent the days during the week combing for job openings, reading Harry Potter (books 3 and 4), running errands, and cleaning the house. I still haven't heard back from any of the jobs I already applied for, so I'll probably be broadening my search soon. On Thursday, I went to a new home-buyer class and sales presentation to learn more about the process and earn $100. Kayle and I are just starting to look into purchasing a home and think we might be able to act in about a year when we can save up a down payment. We only have about 8 months or so left in our current condo before the owners move back in, so we've been thinking about where we want to live next.

In the evenings, we had our normal pattern. Tuesday was community group at Emily and Bryan's new home. Our leaders, Tim and Cameron, were waiting anxiously for their baby which was almost a week overdue. We found out last night that, after 2 full days of labor, they had a baby girl at 7:30pm. She was 21 inches long and 8 lbs 15 oz. She doesn't have a name yet, partially because Tim and Cameron wanted to make the gender of the baby a surprise at birth. On Wednesday, I went to my small group with the youth, which is going really well lately. Thursday was our date night when we went out for dinner.

Not too much else is going on now, just a lot of waiting to hear back from job openings and trying to enjoy my time off while getting things done around the house. We miss you and love you all!

Angie and Kayle

No comments:

Post a Comment