So, maybe I shouldn't have titled my last post "Easy Week #2"... This past week was a tough one at school! It seems like tons of kids are suspended or in detention and a few were even expelled. Bummer for them and for all the staff trying to keep behavior under control! I gave out my first in-school suspensions this week...now you know I had to be beyond annoyed to resort to that!
On Thursday, the Seattle Public Schools announced the week-long closure of a nearby middle school for a suspected swine flu case. The next day, two more local schools were shut down for a week as well. Unfortunately, this means the kids at my school, many of whom have siblings/friends at the other schools, were FREAKING OUT all day Friday about getting sick. The school nurse was swamped with worried kids and had to send an e-mail about being discerning about student requests to go to the nurse. Also, one sixth-grader was going around school purposely sneezing on people and declaring he had swine flu- not helping!! Since none of the three possible flu cases were confirmed and the flu turned out to be milder than expected, the school system decided to reopen the 3 schools earlier than originally planned. And just like that, the temporary craziness/panic subsided...
Outside of school, most of the week went as usual with CG on Tuesday night (yum- breakfast dinner!) and youth group on Wednesday night. On Friday, we met some other Microsofties for frisbee in the sun. As more people showed up, the nice throw-it-to-each-other-in-a-circle turned into an intense ultimate frisbee match, so I sat out for that part and played with a baby instead. Kayle got his exercise though! At night, we watch "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" together. I bought it from a garage sale thinking I had seen it and liked it- turns out it was a strange musical that we enjoyed watching together for Kayle's second time and my first.
On Saturday, I went to a "recipe exchange" at a friend's house. It was at 10am, so most people brought breakfast foods/recipes. It was still fun to get some "girl talk" in and exchange funny stories about how we met our husbands among other things. I brought Belgian waffles to the brunch but had homemade chili cooking at home (our first try- Betty Crocker recipe). Both turned out well, but I discovered that Kayle really doesn't like chili much. Oh well!
On Sunday, both of us worked in the toddler room again. It was fun, except, due to swine flu precautions, we didn't have snack time. That just means we had to stall/play for even longer than usual, waiting for the parents to show up at the end of the 2-hour service. I blew bubbles indoors for a LONG TIME! We also had a BBQ on Sunday to meet the new campus pastor who will lead our church in Bellevue. Our current campus pastor is leaving for southern California to plant a new church in the region where he grew up. We'll miss him, but, at Mars Hill, we've grown pretty used to growth and change for Jesus' sake!
This week is shaping up to be pretty busy too! School has gone decently well so far and I'm deep in "looking for a summer job" mode. Wish me luck!
We miss you and love you!
Angie and Kayle
No comments:
Post a Comment