Monday, May 11, 2009

Movie Nights!

This past week seemed really busy, especially since we had a social engagement every day of the weekend!

Work was fine for both of us. I'm still striving to keep the kids motivated to boost their grades in the final quarter of the year. We also had an after-school field trip to the local African American museum with the kids from Jaguar tutoring. It was fun, but a little hectic to keep track of 13 kids on a crowded Metro bus! I was mostly worried that we'd leave someone on the bus and they'd end up who knows where! Kayle's been busy at his job too and enjoying the debugging work. He said he's been pretty productive lately...

On Tuesday, we both felt tired and sick, so we missed community group. Kayle ended up with a sore throat for most of the week but I felt better the next day. On Wednesday, we had a 4th week feed with parents and siblings coming to join us for pizza and discussion about worship. I started a new mini-project to set up a small library for our youth group to give them greater access to solid Christian books. I posted a note on Facebook and now have a list of over 100 book recommendations from friends. Hmm...gonna have to narrow that down a bit, I think!

On Friday, I made another meal for Breanna and her family (who had a baby a few weeks ago). I also started applying for summer jobs, mostly in community centers and tutoring places right near our home. I also applied for United Way, which has an office in Bellevue (where Kayle works). We wanted to have me work closer for the summer, so I wouldn't spend so much time riding the bus in nice weather! It would be nice to get one of the positions in Redmond- then I could easily bike to work everyday... After finishing a spreadsheet for work (compiling fund-raising information for all the schools), my day off flew by pretty quickly for a change!

At night, Joe and his roommates were hosting a Pixar movie night. We didn't realize what a big deal it was! Kayle and I arrived early and helped cook an eggplant roll appetizer and more meat than I've ever seen at one house. Apparently, over 35 people responded that they were coming! The boys even took two couches and arranged them on cinder blocks to create stadium seating in their living room. I'm not sure any of them are truly out of "college mode" yet! It was fun to see so many people and even some young kids, and we enjoyed watching "The Incredibles". The idea for a Pixar night started when one of their roommates from Africa (Fabini) said, "cartoons are for kids." I guess they wanted to prove how funny and clever Pixar "cartoons" can be! Pictures to come?

On Saturday, we were invited to another movie night at Jeff and Paula Irwin's house. This one was a smaller affair, watching Terminator 1 in preparation for the upcoming release of the new Terminator movie in a few weeks. Jeff and Paula love hosting parties on the few weeks leading up to an anticipated movie release to watch all the movies in the series leading up to the new one. Next week will be Terminator 2 with, perhaps, some of the Sarah Conner Chronicle episodes...

On Sunday, we went to the earlier service. It was our campus pastor's last Sunday preaching before he plants his new church in California. It was sad for a lot of people who know Pastor Jesse better than we do, but, since he grew up in Cali, is well suited for church planting (this would be his 3rd), and loves surfing, everyone agrees that his family will be happy and effective in ministry there. The new pastor is also well-known and recommended by both Pastor Jesse and Pastor Mark (the primary preaching pastor at Mars Hill). The new pastor and his family seem nice, and next week will be his first week preaching...no pressure!

After the service, we ran home to eat lunch before Kayle dropped me off for Brenda's b-day outing with the girls. Nine of us went to a garden show/botanical garden festival, enjoyed an authentic Korean dinner, and finished off with ice cream from Dairy Queen. Here is a link to some pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Angie.Hinkle/BrendaSBirthdayParty#

Anyway, today was another typical day at school, except each grade got to participate in an hour-long drum circle assembly with some local Brazilian drummers. It was fun but LOUD! You try controlling middle school kids with drums! I tutored all day like usual and came home early, because I wasn't needed after school. Then, Kayle and I biked to the grocery store and library to pick up some things and exercise a bit. Hopefully, tonight will be a relaxing night before another pretty busy week!

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms and grandmas!

We love you and miss you all!!
Angie and Kayle

P.S. Our couch and loveseat also arrived this week on Thursday! With the floor lamps we bought last week, our living room finally feels complete. I'm sure we'll post pictures of the couches soon and hopefully be inviting people over soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment