Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Slower Week- Time to Catch our Breath

Last week, we finally had some time to rest. Unfortunately, I had a cold for most of the week with coughing, sore throat, and general fatigue. At least it was a relatively good week to be sick!

On Wednesday night, I had youth group at the usual time and place. We are studying Ephesians right now. Two of the girls led discussion on Ephesians 3, and we had a good prayer time after. Desiree, my new co-leader, has been a great blessing to me personally (as a person to talk to and learn from) and to the girls (as a person with similar interests).

On Friday evening, I went over to Kat's house to spend some time with her. She baked scones for an event the next day and we enjoyed pizza together. After all the baking, we watched "Sherlock Holmes" and enjoyed it very much. I had been missing Kat, since we hadn't been able to hang out for a few weeks!

On Saturday, it has become "normal" for us to trade the car back and forth all morning. So, Kayle went to his now-weekly accountability group with other guys in our CG at bright-and-early 7:15. Immediately after he returned, I hopped in the car to meet Desiree at a coffeeshop. We intend to get together bi-weekly to discuss theology (Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem) and plan for youth group. On the way home, I got a car wash from the high school boy's soccer team (they were holding up signs all over). I don't think they realized (or cared) that people inside the car can hear every word they said outside the car. I heard all sorts of exclamations like "Wow! Look at how dirty this one is!" and "It's your turn to get the bird poop!" It's sort of embarrassing to sit inside a car for an extended period while people outside wash it. I'll have to remember that if my youth group ever decides to do a car wash fundraiser!

At night, Kayle and I went to see Caleb and Laura, the couple we've babysat for a few times. They are moving back to Texas to be with both sets of parents again. Fortunately, Caleb will be able to work remotely with Microsoft, so they already have the job settled and just need to decide which neighborhood to live in. We talked for quite a while and ended the night with a few rounds of Bananagrams (like Scrabble without a board). And, believe it or not, Kayle only won 1 out of 3 rounds!

On Sunday, we kept busy as usual. I taught in the primary class while Kayle was assigned to help in the two-year-old room. My lesson was on what it means for humans to be made in the "image of God". After attending the 2nd service, I went to a new curriculum training for Sunday school teachers. Kayle spent those two hours learning a new program for the tech booth. The new curriculum should have interesting content; it's called "Children Desiring God" and from John Piper's church. However, it doesn't have many activities, like crafts or games, associated with it, so I might need to do some extra work coming up with ideas. So far, this is the 3rd curriculum I've used in the past year or so of teaching, so I'm sure I can handle the change!

This week, Monday and Tuesday were stay-at-home nights. I made Kayle pasties, since he has been asking about them for quite a while. He was thrilled! Tonight (Wednesday), my girls are helping another community group as they serve the neighborhood where Kayle and I live. We plan to bake and deliver as many cookies and brownies as we can in two hours. The other CG is helping individual households with various chores. Tomorrow is Caleb and Laura's official going-away party. Friday, we are going to a local community center's dinner/auction. And Saturday will feature a mother's day tea and chocolate tasting event with my youth group girls (and their moms, of course).

So, we're almost back to our usual hectic pace and I'm almost back to feeling healthy again. I am looking forward to Emily Norman's wedding in just a few weeks (in Michigan!) and to the Hinkle family visit to Washington at the end of June. We miss and love you all!

Angie and Kayle

No comments:

Post a Comment