Friday, May 28, 2010

Emily Norman's Wedding and Michigan Trip

Wow! I have utterly failed on the blog posting front. I intend on posting once every week or two, but it gets easier and easier to procrastinate when I know I have a lot to write about! So, I will keep myself to the highlights this time (yeah right!).

On May 5, Kayle and I drove about 2 hours to Puyallup and back to pick up one of my EA2 students for a dodgeball tournament at church. The brother of one of my youth group girls decided a few months ago to arrange a dodgeball tournament to raise money for Haiti. Several of my girls joined a team, and I invited Alan to make or join a team as well. Kayle and I went to cheer and possibly volunteer and certainly NOT play. However, Hannah (another youth group girl) gave us her puppy dog eyes and was trying to get together a team an hour before the amateur bracket started. So I joined...and a few minutes later Kayle became our 6th and final player.


We played a round robin set in which we played every other team (about 10-11 total) and then a double elimination tournament (best 2 out of 3). Long story short: our team won about 3 games total to be the 2nd worst team in the amateur bracket. We still managed to play about 15-20 games! All in all, it was fun...and painful. I got nailed in the face in the final game and both of us were sore all over for about 3-4 days. Really sore! Probably should have stretched out or warmed up beforehand! On a lighter note, Emily and Kira's team (more youth group girls) got 3rd place.





My birthday, May 18th, was lovely. I checked my e-mail right after arriving at work and was surprised to see a wonderful birthday letter from Kayle sitting in my inbox. About 6 or 7 people called me at work, while I was tutoring students (still can't pick up the phone then!). Another 50 people wished me a "Happy Birthday" on Facebook. At work, my co-workers gave me a bouquet of tulips, a card, and a birthday cake to share (very yummy). In the evening, our community group did a potluck of southern food (fried chicken, jambalaya, corn, sweet tea- all very delicious). Kayle and I also celebrated with dinner earlier in the weekend, and he made me chocolate pudding with whipped cream and oreos for dessert. All in all, I felt very loved!

From May 20-23, I was in Michigan. I took the red-eye on Wednesday night around midnight and arrived in Michigan, safe and sound and on time, on Thursday morning. I spent most of my visit with family and enjoyed all the quality time. I went to lunch with my parents, saw a movie with my dad and brother, ate dinner and watched movies with my sister, and spent several hours over two visits with the Hinkle clan. It is so good to see everyone! On Saturday, I went to Emily Norman's wedding in Grand Rapids with my mom and sister.



Her wedding was beautiful, with 6 bridesmaids and groomsmen in teal and brown, a red trolley to transport the bridal party, Nubia singing an operatic "Ave Maria," and the most amazing wedding cake I've ever seen.


I also talked with many high school friends including Em J (a bridesmaid), PJ and Lisa, Bridget and EJ, Bram, Katie, Angie Gould, Nubia, and, of course, Emily Norman (now Emily Norman-Morey or M&M).




I arrived back in Seattle on Sunday afternoon after being delayed 1.5 hours in Detroit. Boy, was I glad to see my husband after a long weekend away and hours of traveling!

This week was mostly dedicated to catching up on sleep. Kayle had only a 3-day work week, since his building was being rearranged again on Thursday and Friday. With Monday off for Memorial Day, he had a 5-day weekend! CG on Tuesday was a Mexican potluck, and we welcomed a new baby to our group on Thursday (Everett Doyle Montgomery- Lindsey and Steve's first child). On Wednesday, I led Bible study with my youth group girls and had a great discussion on the first 6 verses of Ephesians 4, which exhorted us to "live a life worthy of the calling you have received." Tonight, we are playing Settlers and Wii Fit. Our plans for the weekend are few. Kayle hopes it will stop raining long enough to go on a bike ride together. Angie hopes to see Kat for a girls night tomorrow. We both hope to see some friends at a BBQ on Monday.

We miss you all and look forward to lots of people visiting Washington this summer! We've been planning all sorts of activities for the coming months...

With love,
Angie and Kayle

No comments:

Post a Comment