Sunday, March 7, 2010

Out and About on the Tandem Bike

This week was less busy than usual, a nice break from what had become pretty chaotic. I had fewer hours at work and some breathing time in between students. (It gets hectic when they come in 4 hours in a row- it takes me more than a minute or two to completely switch gears!). Surprisingly, my mornings are filled up but my afternoons are mostly empty with only one or two students after lunch each day. The afternoon is when I'd usually have tutoring students, and we don't usually get new tutoring kids until the end of semester panic period. So, I might have a lighter, 25-hour/week schedule for a while. I will probably start going to Eastside Academy again for my longer breaks. On a side note, I am totally geeking out about my boss buying Mathematica, a program that does math and science demonstrations on the computer. I've had a fun time browsing the website and finding cool models to show my students. The program has gotten so much cooler since we used it in high school and college!

Tuesday, we did not have community group for the regional meetings. On Wednesday, we had a great bible study time at Proxy, studying Ephesians chapter 1. Youth group has been going really well lately, and I just found out that one of the other leaders is coming back soon. Lisa took some time off to find a better job, and she has just found one. I'm excited to have another adult leader to bounce ideas off of and share the load of planning and teaching with. Dustin, the main youth pastor, is also back, so youth group should become more active and dynamic again.

Thursday and Friday night, we stayed in and rested at home. One night we watched Spiderman 2 (I won it at the SuperBowl party). We also made homemade pizza with ham and bacon. On Friday, I picked up our wedding vows from Eastside Academy. The art teacher, who is amazing at calligraphy, wrote out our wedding vows in deep purple and decorated them with doves on the edges to put in our silver, engraved frame. They are already hanging on the wall, right next to the counter where we eat our meals every day.

Saturday was a great day. We slept in and then made a huge pile of oven french toast using thick slices of artisan bread. In the afternoon, we rode the tandem bike to Marymoor Park because it was a beautiful 60 degree, sunny day. The park had hundreds of people- we saw people playing cricket, lacrosse, soccer, ultimate frisbee, rock climbing, flying remote control airplanes/helicopters, and doing bike tricks. There were more dogs and kids than you could ever count. We rode around, watched and puzzled over the cricket game, and threw the frisbee around on an open, astro-turf baseball field. Parks are well-loved and well-used here and it is quite an experience going to one. For one thing, I heard probably 10 different languages in just a few hours!

At night, we went to Gary's birthday party (a guy from our old CG). We played classic video games (Mario and the original MarioKart) and, of course, the daughter of a Nintendo employee was amazing at Mario. Then, the nine of us sat down to some Texas Hold'Em, which turned out to be pretty ridiculous. We had to look up on a Blackberry which hands won and had the hardest time deciding how much the chips should be worth. With several lucky hands (including one I won with a pair of twos and another with Ace high), I ended up winning the poker game and a giant candy bar. We laughed a lot and enjoyed spending time with people we hadn't seen for a while. Kayle and I plan to host a Settlers game night soon, since that's the one we didn't have time for last night. Oh...and we both ate more dark chocolate covered pretzals than we ever should have!

Today was the first Sunday in a long time that we have slept in (two days in a row!). Neither of us were signed up to serve, so we decided to go to the 5 o'clock service and the extended worship afterward. We mostly just lounged around all day, but we did have nice lunch of sage chicken, caesar salad, and corn.

We're looking forward to a slightly busier week and, as always, missing all of you. We love you!

Angie and Kayle

No comments:

Post a Comment