Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Busy Weekend with Friends

Last week, I still had under 20 hours scheduled at EA2, so I've been filling up my extra weekday time with volunteering at Eastside Academy, going home for a nap, and some errands/cleaning. Several students are approaching the end of their class with me soon, but it sounds like most of them want to take another math course. I also am hearing of a few new students for the following weeks, though none of them for many hours. Today, we have quite a wake-up at EA2, because Lou, another teacher who opened up this morning, punched in the wrong code for the alarm system and it went off (LOUDLY) for about 20 minutes. The police came and went, but we still couldn't find the number to call to turn it off (other co-workers didn't answer their phones). Finally, another staff member showed up and knew the alternate code needed to shut off the system, and peace was restored!

Kayle's work is going really well lately. I think he is enjoying the projects he's been assigned, working on new features for the next release. He said he is giving a demonstration of his work to his team on Thursday. Visual Studio 2010 is being released next month, so Kayle will have the satisfaction of seeing his hard work pay off in an actual product.

At community group, we had Italian night with some delicious pasta dishes. We brought crazy bread (our first time making it) and asparagus (with oil and crushed red pepper). Both were a hit with our friends and I had to admit to everyone that Kayle did most of the cooking this time!

On Wednesday, I had my youth group Bible study. Youth group has been going really well lately. The girls are starting to take ownership in leading and planning events and our discussions are becoming more authentic. It has been fun watching them grow and mature in their faith and helping them build a true Christian community.

As you can probably tell by the title, our weekend was incredibly busy. On Friday night, I went to Kat's house to watch a movie, catch up, and eat pizza. Meanwhile, Kayle dropped me off and went to a brewery in Bellevue to meet up with some guys from CG. We both enjoyed bonding with our same-sex friends and got home pretty late that night.

On Saturday, I had a CG leaders training at church for 4 hours (9am-1pm). It turned out to be pretty informative and, as always, I enjoyed meeting and networking with other people from the church, many of whom I've seen as names posting things online. I was one of about 5 women out of 50-60 total attendees, but I met a guy hosting a theology discussion night, another with a wife possibly interested in co-leading my youth group girls, and another who coaches and trains the groups in my region. Overall, it was a productive training!

After a long nap at home, Kayle and I set off for Rachel and Tom's house. The couple has been married for 10 years and goes to our community group although this is the first time we've seen them outside of group events. Rachel and Tom made us a wonderful dinner of green beans with cherry tomatoes, salmon, red-skinned potatoes, and rice. They also had ice cream sundaes and truffles for dessert. But, most of all, we enjoyed just talking to them and getting to know their story of finding each other and coming to Seattle. While Rachel fed the baby, I had the chance to talk to her, just the girls, while Kayle sat down to talk to Tom. We greatly appreciated their invitation and hope to return the favor sometime soon.

Finally, after dinner, Kayle dropped me off at the youth group sleepover party at Hannah's house. We watched two movies, played some spoons, and, of course, talked and talked. I was glad that I found a replacement for Children's Ministry the next day, because, with the time change, I was up until 3:30am and would have needed to be at church by 8am to serve!

On Sunday, I met Kayle at the 11:15 service where he decided to work in the booth to cover someone who was sick. I sat up there with him although I got less out of the service that usual due to being so tired. The sermon was all about being in a CG, so I guess, with the training on Saturday, I mostly had that topic covered. After church, we went grocery shopping and watched the movie, "Iron Man". I also slept a good portion of the afternoon to catch up of sleep for the workweek.

Well, I guess that's it for this week! I can't really compete with Kristen for frequency of posts and number of pictures...she is really having fun and experiencing new things in Australia! My student for the afternoon is almost here, so I have to go back to work! Take care, and we miss you...

Angie and Kayle

No comments:

Post a Comment