Wednesday, October 14, 2009

New Job Going Well...

This week was an exciting one for me, because I started getting acclimated to my new job. On Thursday, I was originally scheduled to go to EA2 to start my job training. However, I got a call earlier in the day, and my director asked me to sub for 3 students in math on my first day instead. I was nervous to have to prove my teaching skills so early and without much notice, but the sessions all went fine. On Friday, I came in again to fill out paperwork, go through the training manual, and get fingerprinted. As I was about to leave, the sub for that afternoon hadn't shown up yet (he was in a car accident earlier that week and then got sick), so I ended up subbing again for two more math students. The director and other staff are very supportive, so I'm looking forward to getting to know them more and growing as a teacher at EA2.

On Saturday, Kayle and I helped our friends, Jeff and Paula, move to a new house. Along with a whole contingent of friends, we loaded the U-Haul at their apartment with a seemingly never-ending stream of boxes coming down the stairs. We had to adjust the piles in the driveway a few times to let other residents get their cars out, but we eventually fit everything in one trip with only a few items in various cars. We took a break from unloading to enjoy some pizza together and finally finished the job in only about 2-3 hours. Many hands really do make light work (unless you consider those deceptively heavy boxes of books).

On Sunday, we slept in and rested before going to the evening service at church. I had a youth group leader meeting afterward, so Kayle sat in the car and read "The Last Battle." (He's been reading all the Narnia books lately.) The meeting went well, but our youth director is leaving soon to plant a church so we'll be phasing into having a new leader of youth programs. It's sad to see Dustin go, but the new leader is the current head of the community group ministry, so I'm sure he'll do a great job too.

On Monday, I had the first students of my own at EA2. I'm going to be teaching a calculus course for credit for one boy and tutoring another in algebra II. Both sessions went really well. Soon, I'll start teaching an algebra/trig course for another student and possibly an AP statistics course. This job will certainly force me to re-polish my various math skills! I've already brought one problem home to Kayle and we've been enjoying figuring out how to do some of the proofs so I can show my students in class. It's pretty geeky how a challenging math question can bring us together.

I've also been continuing to volunteer at Eastside Academy (or EA1- ironic that my two schools are EA and EA2). I was there for most of the schoolday Monday and Tuesday, since my EA2 students are coming after-school so far. I've been helping out mostly in math lately although I still go next door to English or sit in on the film class sometimes. I enjoyed helping a new student in trigonometry catch up to her classmates by teaching her one-on-one. Yesterday, I taught at the board how to graph each of the main 6 trig functions by hand. I'm also excited for a fancy dinner/auction that is coming up as a fund-raiser for Eastside Academy. It is next Saturday at the Hilton hotel in Bellevue.

Well, that's all for now. I'm going to my second calculus session this afternoon, picking up Kayle from work, and then proceeding to the monthly 4th week feed for youth group (pizza and discussion with all the families). I didn't go to EA1 today, because Wednesdays are always half days.

I love and miss you!
Angie and Kayle

1 comment: