Monday, October 4, 2010

Is it really October already?

Kayle and I had a much quieter month of September, setting aside time to re-group and re-prioritize for the new school year. Kayle's job is still going well and his free-time hobby programming has focused on some phone apps for the new Windows phone (a virtual bookshelf and a (soon-to-be graphing) calculator in F#). Meanwhile, teaching at EA2 is steady with 6 students and about 20 hours/week. I've also loved spending some extra time at Eastside Academy, meeting the 15 new students and reconnecting with students from last year.

Our church community group is still going strong and I loved the opportunity last week to visit an off-shoot women's study in the morning. The group is finishing up reading through "Every Woman's Battle," a great book about purity that has been surprisingly applicable. It goes into the emotional and thought-life issues that lead many women to feel dissatisfied in dating and marriage. Kayle and I are very happy, but I still found lots of pointers to continue growing and improving our relationship and centering it on Christ. Of course, it was also a joy to meet baby Davis this month, our newest CG addition.



In youth group, we are finishing up our study of Ephesians and moving into a survey of the Old Testament from Joshua to (hopefully) 2 Kings. I've been elbow deep in footnotes (ESV Study Bible = awesome resource), timelines, maps, and articles on archeology and am just loving all the new insights to some familiar and not-so-familiar stories. Joshua will be a 7 week Bible study that discusses each of the 7 stone monuments erected during the book to commemorate something Israel learned/experienced about God. I am so excited to continue teaching and learning about the Old Testament! Our God truly is the same yesterday, today, and forever, and I love Him more and more as I see His power, mercy, and justice play out in history.

The highlight of September was a weekend date with Kayle at the Bellevue Hilton. We won the gift certificate at last year's Eastside Academy auction and greatly enjoyed some time away. We spent our two-night stay relaxing, talking about priorities for our time and money, having some romantic fun together, eating amazing breakfast buffets and a dinner out, and strolling around the mall in downtown Bellevue. Kayle was talking about making weekend dates a priority for building up our marriage twice a year, and I wholeheartedly support that plan!

As we move into October, our schedule is picking up again. Kayle and I are doing some babysitting together and the youth group is planning a service day at Tent City, a dodgeball tournament, and a Halloween party. Our second Eastside Academy auction is also this month. Kayle and I are also getting very excited for Christmas already. We bought our plane tickets and plan to be in Michigan for two full weeks: Dec 16th-31st. Can't wait to see everyone!

Finally, I want to leave you with the lyrics to a song that's been playing on the radio. It's called "My Own Little World" by Matthew West and talks about what has been a desire of my heart as God grows us in generosity.

In my own little world it hardly ever rains
I’ve never gone hungry, always felt safe
I got some money in my pocket, shoes on my feet
In my own little world
Population: me

What if there’s a bigger picture?
What if I’m missing out?
What if there’s a greater purpose
I could be living right now
Outside my own little world

Father break my heart for what breaks Yours
Give me open hands and open doors
Put Your light in my eyes and let me see
That my own little world is not about me


You can listen to the whole song here: Matthew West's "My Own Little World"

No comments:

Post a Comment