We rode over to Seattle with Jeff and Paula Irwin, the friends who often host movie nights and BBQs. Kristen went to their house with us for the Super Bowl this year, and the going away party for Caleb and Laura was there too. It was good to catch up with them a bit and be excited for the arrival of their first baby (a girl!) later this year. Once in Seattle, we found our friends climbing on a sculpture near the Space Needle. After posing for some pictures and catching a bite for lunch, we were off to stand in line to ensure some good seats all together.
While in line, we competed in the Irwin's favorite card game, Set. I usually consider it a great victory if I manage to get 1 match the entire game, since it takes a lot of practice to spot possible trios. Here is an explanation and puzzle from the New York Times to give you an idea of the frustration of learning the game with more adept opponents: http://www.nytimes.com/ref/crosswords/setpuzzle.html
The movie itself was very funny and enjoyable. The characters are as lovable and creative as ever and, combined with daring escape scenes and some heart-wrenching growing-up goodbye scenes, it was probably the best movie three-quel (?) in a long time. Of course, it was all larger-than-life in 3D on IMAX, and I'm slightly embarrassed to say I shed a few tears in there somewhere...
After the movie, Joe proposed that we visit the Ballard Locks because he had heard that the salmon were running through the fish ladder there. We planned to come back to Seattle Center to eat dinner with the other movie-goers, but we got caught up shooting the marshmellow gun (and sometimes trying to catch them in our mouths), discussing the inner-workings and necessity of the lock itself, and taking crazy pictures. Joe, James, Henry, Kayle, and I did indeed see our first Washington salmon up close (and alive) and basked in the glorious weather that has been teasing us lately from time to time. (We are all waiting for summer to decide to arrive and stay for more than a couple days!)
Afterward, we walked around Ballard, looking for a place to eat. Armed with an iPhone, we ultimately decided on a well-rated fish and chips place directly next to the locks.
Foolishly thinking we were on our way home, we drove past the Ballard Mars Hill campus and into Fremont. I mentioned the Fremont troll, since I'd never seen it but would hear Americorp members talk about it last year. So, we were off on a detour to see this ugly Seattle treasure tucked under a random bridge. (If you look closely, there is a real VW bug being crushed in the troll's left hand.)
Later, driving past Gasworks park, Kayle and I mentioned this was another Seattle icon we had never visited. The park is just one large hill with a large rusty gasworks contraption on one side. But it has an amazing view of Seattle across the lake! The park is also the site of a huge 4th of July fireworks show every year, and we are sorely tempted to fight the crowds on Sunday for a chance to see the show light up Seattle. Of course, while I was marvelling at the view and taking pictures, the boys were occupying themselves with long distance frisbee and a sad attempt to fly a kite.
We finally headed for home and caught a glimpse of Mt. Rainier from the 520 bridge crossing Lake Washington.
Back at our condo, Kayle and I crawled into our nice, warm bed. We planned to serve at church bright and early the next day and both of us stayed up until 1:30 am at board game night (we were up late talking to Joe).
I hope you enjoy these long-winded recollections of our activity-filled lives. I am happy to be able to share them with all my family and friends. We miss you and love you all!
Angie and Kayle
No comments:
Post a Comment