Monday, April 26, 2010

Hiking up a Baby Mountain

This past week was one of our busiest yet with something going on every single night after work. We had plenty of plans for the weekend too but managed to rest up just enough for another work week. Fortunately, the calendar is more barren this week so we can catch our breaths before an exciting month of May.

Last week, I subbed for 2 extra math students on Monday and an SAT prep student on Tuesday and Thursday. One of my previous math students also returned, so work is picking up a bit again. I still managed to visit Eastside Academy on Tuesday and Thursday for a couple hours each. It is fun to see the students there and witness firsthand the positive changes in their lives. One of the girls became a Christian on April 15 (tax day) and another returned from rehab and said he enjoyed my letters while he was gone. I am also meeting quite a few new students, since EA receives new students year-round. Can you believe there's only 8 weeks of school left before summer?

After 7 hours of students on Monday, Kayle and I went to a theology discussion night at Starbucks. We ate from Quiznos (our new favorite fast food) and talked about Jonathan Edwards' exposition on the Trinity for several hours. It was fun, but we left with more questions than answers (which I imagine is how its supposed to be when you look too closely at the mysterious).

On Tuesday night, we went to community group as usual. We had a great discussion about the Beatitudes in Luke and how they relate to wealth. If all my wealth (and talents, time, resources, relationships, etc) are a gift from God, then I am just a steward of His resources. How much of God's wealth entrusted to my care should I keep for myself? With all the pressing needs in the world, this has been a perpetually difficult question for me to answer. How does God want me to balance generosity with saving for the future and providing for my family? Whatever we give never seems to be enough...

On Wednesday, I went to Mongolian Grill (like Mongolian BBQ at home) to meet with my youth group girls before the regional meeting. For $11, I got a yummy mix of noodles, rice, veggies, and beef that was enough for two meals. I also ate about 5 fortune cookies. The "fortune" I liked the best said: "Your lover will never wish to leave you."

On Thursday night, I was going to meet my friend (Kat) to hang out, but Kayle and I decided we were just too tired to do anything that night. Instead, we made a nice dinner of spicy chicken alfredo and rested up for the weekend.

On Friday, I only had two students in the morning. I went home around noon to clean up the house and do laundry. At night, we hosted the youth group girls for a board game night. We ate strawberries, pineapple, cashews, chips, and salsa while sipping home-brewed Starbucks coffee. It was a lot of fun playing Wits and Wagers, Mao (or is it Mow?), and Pit. Even better, the 5 girls that came got to meet our new leader, Desiree. We laughed most of the night while Kayle hid upstairs on his computer. (We told him he was welcome to play with us, but he was wary of all the estrogen in one room!)

On Saturday, Kayle left early (7:15!) to go meet some guys from community group for accountability. The last two weeks, they've gathered in Top Pot doughnuts (like Krispy Kreme but better!). He brought home a dozen doughnuts for me to share with my youth group. Shortly after he returned, I left for my monthy "coffeeshop leaders meeting". The girls gathered in Tully's to plan events (a mother's day tea and chocolate tasting!) and review the direction of our group. I am very proud to see them mature as leaders and Christians. And, of course, they enjoyed the doughnuts! Since it was the last day of fee free National Park week, Kayle planned for us to go to Mount Rainier to hike around. However, intimidated by rainy weather, we settled for a 2 mile (each way) hike up "Little Si". We had fun on our first Washington hike together although my asthma still kicks in when going up steep sections. We endured some light rain and enjoyed a victorious and relatively sunny view at the top. Of course, next to Mount Si, Little Si is a baby mountain (about 1/4-1/3 in height). But we were sore the next day anyway...

At night, we watched a sci-fi movie called "Knowing" with Nicolas Cage, which involved a curious and strange mix of prophecy, determinism, national disasters, and aliens (think "Day After Tomorrow" meets "Contact"). We (read: Angie) are thrilled with discovering RedBox movie vending machines in our area. We don't rent many movies, and now we can get them for ~$1/night and return them anywhere.

On Sunday, I taught the primary lesson on creation (involving a nature "scavenger hunt" and playing "spider in the web") while Kayle worked up in the tech booth. I sat up with him for the second service. The sermon was very thought-provoking and addressed the "do not judge" verses along with the rest of Jesus' Luke sermon on the plain. You can (and should!) watch it here:

http://www.marshillchurch.org/media/luke/the-beatitudes-part-2

At night, I went to a youth group leader's meeting before falling asleep soundly after a long day!

That's it for this week! We miss you all and hope you enjoy the pictures...
Angie and Kayle

1 comment:

  1. Not only did you upload pics to the blog, but also changed the layout. Love it, can't wait to see you in about a month and a half! I get to see Seattle in Fall and Summer, lucky me!

    ReplyDelete