Monday, July 13, 2009

Michigan-New Jersey-Nebraska, Here We Come!

Wow. I guess I've been busy, because I completely forgot to post on the blog for two weeks! Let's see how much I can remember (with the help of my Google calendar, of course).

Two weeks ago, I had a week off from camp for 4th of July. So, I ran errands, did laundry, had appointments, went on a site visit for Science Adventures, got my hair cut, and went shopping. In addition to reading a book or two, Kayle and I also went to Community Group and Microsoft Bible study. On Friday, we baby-sat for the Martinez kids again (this time only 3 out of 4 were home) so they could have a "date night" out.

We had a fun 4th of July as well! In the morning, I went out with the girls to see the movie "The Proposal" with Sandra Bullock. With some coffee in me, I laughed so hard through the whole movie and really enjoyed the time with friends. When I got home, Kayle and I went to another friend's house (Mike from the Dutch House) for a BBQ with a bunch of other (Microsoft) friends. We ate, talked, learned a card game called "Set", and Kayle went to the park to throw a frisbee. Afterward, we went to watch fireworks in Bellevue where they had an orchestra playing before and during the fireworks show. I really liked having the music playing. It was a really fun day, but I was ready to get home after it took over an hour to get out of the parking garage!

On Sunday, Kayle controlled the lighting at church and did a great job picking colors that blended well with the slides. I helped out in children's ministry and held babies in the nursery.

Last week, I worked full-time as an instructor for the Great Robot Factory theme (again). We had 27 kids, which is a pretty big group to teach all at once, especially hands-on projects. But, overall, it went well and we emerged with completed robots and (most) projects although I did fix about 10 electromagnets one morning. I think this was my last time doing robots, and I am kind of glad. The projects for the robot week require a lot of monotonous preparation like wire stripping and cutting string and counting KNEX pieces. This week, I am the lead instructor for a camp of only 15 kids. We're doing an environmental theme called "Powerful Planet". The projects are much easier to prepare and I wrote all my lessons on notecards already. So far, so good...but, then again, it's only Monday!

On Thursday, we babysat for Caleb and Laura's baby named Grace. She's less than a year old and teething. While they went to a CPR class for parents, we played with Gracie, fed her, and then spent about 1 1/2 hours trying to get her to stop screaming. After getting ready for bed, checking diapers, and rocking, we finally just put her in her crib and she fell asleep within about 5-10 minutes. It was stressful, but we think it was just her teeth bothering her since nothing else was wrong... Eek!

This past weekend, Jeff and Paula Irwin both had their birthdays. So, while I went shopping at Kohl's and Target, Kayle met them and some other friends at the park. I joined them later, and we all went out to dinner and watched Harry Potter 5 back at the Irwins' house (accompanied by "butterbeer"- cream soda with melted Werthers, butter, and sugar- yum!). They couldn't believe Kayle hasn't read any Harry Potter books yet, so they lent him the first one to get him started. I enjoyed the movie and am looking forward to the 6th one coming soon to theaters.

Finally, yesterday, we went to church and both helped out in the toddler 1 room (walkers but not talkers). After a long service, we were exhausted (especially Angie, who doesn't do well when we stay out late on Saturday). We helped set up for a youth group BBQ to get community kids signed up for VBS. Then, we went home and I took a nice nap. In the evening, Kayle bought some plane tickets and worked on his computer while I prepared lessons for science camp.

So, our big news is we're officially adding a Michigan stop to our NJ-Neb. trip, so we can see Kayle's family and go to Eric and Dana's wedding on August 1 (a Dutch house guy who was one of our groomsmen). We only have a few days in Michigan, but we're really looking forward to it! Then, it's off (by car) with my family to NJ to see my grandma and grandpa as well as my aunts, uncles, and cousins on my mom's side (many of whom have never met Kayle!). Finally, we'll end in Omaha for Leanna and Paul's wedding (Angie's roommate and bridesmaid) where I'll be a bridesmaid for the first time. And all this in just 1 1/2 weeks! Then, it's back to Seattle and back to work on Monday...

We miss you all! Sorry for taking so long to post!
Angie

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I want you to know I bought all those Harry Potter books, but Kayle boycotted them for some reason. Cody was completely absorbed in about the first two, but then he boycotted the rest. So I have a lot of unread Harry Potter books at my house. Thanks for the blog update. We can't wait to see you. Hope you can come on Aug. 2 to the cabin to the other family reunion.

    ReplyDelete