Sunday, March 15, 2009

A Peek at "Real Life"

This week, school went well. I worked on contacting Washington public colleges for admissions brochures to give to the kids at the scholarship party next week. One box arrived so far with fun stickers, lanyards, and other small goodies. I think the middle schoolers will like that, though Univ. of Washington stuff will be a hot commodity! Every kid in school (pretty much) talks about going there for college- and it's only about 15 min. up the road from our middle school. Hopefully, some of the "party-goers" will be interested in looking through the information about colleges so they can plan ahead how to use their scholarship and get the grades they need now.

On Tuesday, our CG was canceled due to sickness and other factors. Kayle and I went through the questions on our own this weekend. Our leader, Josh, comes up with good, challenging questions to go along with the sermon and the Scripture passage of the week.

On Wednesday night, I helped out at youth group. We're practicing bible study skills in small groups and then sharing out our answers to the larger group. It's fun to be a leader of a small group, since that's my preferred setting to talk and teach. I like that the CG that Kayle and I are in is also a small group bible study setting.

Fridays are now my errand and chore days. I scheduled some dentist/eye doctor appointments, called a few college admissions offices, filled out paperwork, and did many loads of laundry. At night, Kayle and I went to the movies to see "Slumdog Millionaire." We really liked it, and that's coming from people who go out to see less than 5 movies/year. It was a touching story, and it was heartbreaking to think that some of the kids we sponsor in India might live in similar conditions.

On Saturday, Kayle and I volunteered in the morning at a YMCA event near my school. They were putting on a "Real Life Fair" in which the kids (mostly high schoolers) went around to booths with a pre-determined income and family size. At each booth, they had to make choices about housing, food, transportation, childcare, education, entertainment, and health care coverage and keep track of their money on a checkbook ledger. Each table also had "chance cards" in which a one-time expense or prize had to be accounted for as well. Kayle and I were "tour guides," leading our group of kids to the tables and helping them with their ledgers and choices. It was a valuable event for thinking ahead about budgeting and financial decisions. We enjoyed being able to help out too. Afterwards, we came home for a nice Saturday nap and enjoyed hanging out at nighth with a bowl of ice cream.

Today, we decided to go to the later 5pm service at church, since I have choir practice at 3 and a meeting for youth group at 7. That way, we'll save a few trips and Kayle can get in some reading time during my meeting.

We're "enjoying" the weather this week in Seattle. We had a few 50 degree sunny days, a few gray and rainy days, and two hour-long snowfalls. It makes me feel just like Michigan where you only have to wait about 5 minutes for the weather to change. Personally, I'm looking forward to warm and sunny...it makes the bus stops and short walks far more pleasant!

Finally, Kayle decided he really wanted to get serious about making homemade pizza. We started with Jiffy crust and canned pineapple. Now that we have a mixer, we began making homemade pizza dough and even cutting up a fresh pineapple sometimes. So, last week, Kayle wanted to get a pizza stone or cast iron pan to further improve his favorite dish. We ended up ordering a 17" cast-iron skillet on Amazon (it is just barely smaller than our oven's size). We also got two cast-iron bread pans for homemade bread and a pizza peel to get the pizza in the hot oven. Kayle has been anxiously waiting for the packages to arrive, and I'm sure we'll be making pizza that very night. According to my mom, homemade pizza might be our "specialty" dish for when people come visit. Hopefully, we'll get some practice in so it can live up to all the "hype". :)

That's all for this week! Happy Anniversary (Angie's) Mom and Dad! Hope to see you all soon- Christmas seems a long time ago now!

Much love,
Angie and Kayle

No comments:

Post a Comment