This week was another busy one! My literacy night event finally arrived, an 8th grade parent night co-run by the PTA and the 8th grade team of teachers. It was a success with solid attendance (about 30 families or so, which is apparently more than usual), good food (sandwiches, fruits/veggies, chips, cookies, drinks, and coffee), and free books/raffle prizes. We were originally going to have the students do slam poetry and journal-making in workshops while the parents listened to speakers, but, unfortunately, the PTA found speakers that wanted to address both students and parents. I guess we'll have to plan to do our "cool" workshops later (the PTA kind of decided unilaterally and we found out about the new plan the week of the event- bummer). But, overall, we were happy with the event and so were the 8th grade teachers and the principal (who personally thanked our efforts via e-mail). We called each 8th grade home to offer a personal invitation and made paper invitations to send home with the kids. We also provided the chips/coffee (both donated) as well as all the free prizes/books (also donated). The parents and students got some valuable information about high schools in the area, graduation requirements, and how to prepare for what's beyond middle school. Our parent surveys, that we need to pass out for our copious paperwork, indicated that the families found the event valuable too. Success! Yay!
I've also been pursuing a scholarship campaign in which I'm ensuring that EVERY 7th and 8th grader hears about a specific opportunity. I'm happy that about 10 kids have already turned in their applications and many more are expected soon. I might also have a few kids applying for another scholarship that involves being able to meet the mayor. Cool for them! Finally, I am looking into an opportunity to take some kids and, perhaps, their families to the zoo after school for free. I saw a flyer about it and am hoping to use it as an incentive for after-school programs or an opportunity for ESL students and their families (or maybe both). Since our school is for sure closing after this year, many of us are working extra hard to make this a year to remember for our kids.
Kayle's work also went well this week. He said that his team was extra productive in fixing bugs and are beginning to catch up to their lofty quota. Kayle is also starting to focus more on improving performance (speed) instead of fixing bugs. He likes the new variety.
In church, we're still searching for a new community group. We've been to two groups since our old one changed meeting days, but neither has been quite what we're looking for. We're hoping to find another group that has a variety of ages, so we can draw wisdom from some older Christians and couples. The last two groups have been all younger people. Youth group is going well too and one of my co-leaders and friends just found out she's having a baby. I'm also getting to know the junior high kids better and am enjoying being able to lead a small group and prayer time more often. We have a junior high retreat coming up with other campuses of Mars Hill and churches from the area. Apparently the camp we're going to has "cool" features such as paintball, high ropes, and horseback riding, so it's not too hard to convince the youth groupies that they want to come. I'm excited to get to know the other leaders and students better, since I don't see most of them any time other than Wednesday nights. The sermon series is still awesome, and the service was a "record" 2 hours long this week (well, at least the longest service we've been to so far)! Ironically, the message was on the importance of preaching and avoiding hypocrisy. That's one way to practice what you preach!! :) After church, we went to lunch with some friends (we haven't for a while) and got some recommendations for an eye doctor and dentist. It was a nice time to reconnect with some people we haven't talked to in a while!
Today (Monday), it snowed and we had a 2-hour delay for school. This is the first time I found out BEFORE arriving at school, so I was thankful that Kayle thought to check for school closings. I was excited to go back to bed for an hour before work!
We also thank everyone who has made an effort to contact us this week. We've gotten e-mails, calls, and letters from some people we haven't heard from in a while as well as some we hear from regularly. This is the first week in a long time that I've heard from ALL the siblings in both of our families. We try hard to keep in touch (mostly with this blog), and we miss you all very much.
With love,
Angie and Kayle
Gonna hit sixty plus here today. Enjoy your snow :-).
ReplyDeleteWow Angie & Kayle,
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like everything is going really well & that your jobs are both fulfilling to both of you.
I'm praying for you!
Love,
Kelly