So, the title of this post is the name of the three-day, two-night conference I went to for work this past week. The event was held in Wanatchee, WA, a small town about 3 hours east of Seattle (just across the mountains) known as the "apple capital of the world." It kind of felt like good ol' Michigan with all its apple orchards. The conference itself basically consisted of a series of seminars during which I could pick which topics to learn about. I chose to go to lectures on everything from improving reading comprehension to reaching "hard-to-reach" kids and dealing with bullies to using the Americorps education award. Honestly, only 2/5 of the seminars were engaging for the full hour and half, so it mostly felt like I was stuck in overly long lectures all day. I also felt sick on the second night of our stay, so I went to bed at 6:30 pm and slept through the night. I had hoped that SERVES would be more fun and informative, but, to be fair, it had it's good moments...like the food (the food was pretty yummy, especially the apple crisp!).
Our training session yesterday was a surprise potluck. I say "surprise" because our supervisors forgot to tell us about our responsibility to bring food until the afternoon the day before. So, I copped out and just brought a bag of chips from our pantry. So much for my new cooking!!
Kayle survived decently well without me for a few days, if you consider eating rosemary chicken quesadillas every day a balanced diet! I think he missed me a lot, but not much seemed to get done around the house while I was gone... Actually, he went to our community group one night and worked on some membership stuff the other night. So, I shouldn't tease him too much! Nonetheless, we were happy to be reunited on Thursday night and rest after a long week (all those lectures and miles of riding in the car wore me out!).
For Halloween, Kayle and I went to a spooky movie night with a large group of friends from church and bible study. We watched "Signs", which, though I've seen it 2-3 times before, hasn't gotten any less scary. I think we all jumped/screamed several times during the movie. Overall, it was incredibly fun to get together to eat candy, talk, and freak out over a scary film. It was a happy Halloween for us...oh yeah...and I wore a 50's poodle skirt costume all day too. Kayle dressed as a Microsoft employee...
Kayle's work: still going well. For those computer geeks out there, he also likes watching the new Microsoft product demos on microsoftpdc.com.
Anyway, that's all for now. We'll work on calling everyone as soon as we can, but feel free to call us too when you have free time. We love and miss you all!
Angie and Kayle
No comments:
Post a Comment