So, Kayle is now finishing up his 3rd week at Microsoft. He's now fully contributing to his group's work of de-bugging a bunch of code. That's about all I understand about his job, so you'll have to ask him if you want more details. So far, he likes his boss, his office mate, and the few other guys that he goes to lunch with. It sounds like he's settling in well there...
Meanwhile, I have been searching hard for a job. I applied but didn't get the positions at the Gates Foundation and have subsequently been looking at Americorps (think: domestic Peace Corps). I have attended 5 interviews this week alone (phew!), 3 of which were broad program interviews while 2 were at the actual site I would be working. The two programs I am most interested in are the Hopelink and Solid Ground. Hopelink is a broad non-profit conveniently located in Bellevue. I would be teaching ESL and GED classes there to mostly adults. Solid Ground has a tutoring program for kids at their respective schools in Seattle during the school day. The school sites are all about 10 miles away with one being an elementary school, one a middle school, and one both. All the Americorps programs offer extensive training during the 10-11 month commitment with "team meeting days" 2-4 times/month (depending on the program). It sounds like I would be challenged and learn a lot! However, I'm still looking at other programs/sites... Pray for the decision I'll have to make in the next few weeks!
Kayle and I have been enjoying the people we've met along the way too. On Tuesday, after my second interview that day, I visited a friend up in Marysville that we met at bible study. It was a nice visit and a long 2 hour chat. This Wednesday, Kayle and I joined Brenda and Joe to go see the new Batman movie on IMAX in Seattle (Microsoft's discount makes IMAX tickets only $3 each...cool!). On Thursdays, we've been going to 20 CF (Christian Fellowship) which is a 20-something bible study through Microsoft. On Sundays, we still enjoy weekly lunches with some friends after chuch. Tomorrow, we hope to meet a new married couple also from Michigan. We're going out for lunch or dinner with them and maybe to a church youth group event. Kayle knows Steve from classes at U of M, and they both now work for Microsoft. Overall, it's been a nice place to meet people. Seattle is such a growing area that it seems most of the people our age have been here for 4 years or less. So, basically, everyone is eager for new friends.
We love hearing from you all! We just got a new cell phone number that we're sharing between the two of us: 425-999-2229 (how easy!). I'm still carrying my old cell too for a while. Feel free to call anytime!
Angie and Kayle
P.S. We MISS you!
No comments:
Post a Comment